The official end of the semester, tomorrow is my last day, and all I have to do is white glove clean checks, and finish packing stuff into my car... it feels very surreal to be going home, I feel like I just got here, but looking back on the year, its difficult to think that so much has happened, so lets take a trip down memory lane shall we.. its only 12:30 and I have absolutely no intentions of going to bed...
January: Getting to Utah is a little later than scheduled- by about a whole dang week... When I get there I walk in, see my Grandma, aunt, cousin, and second cousin all waiting for me, and I am so happy. The next day we leave for Idaho, where I get to my apartment and rush to the door of the lounge to see my best friend... oh how things have changed, it feels like I have taken another step on the maturity latter... January besides that was a bit of a blur, for the first time I did not cry while saying good bye to my parents, a huge step. My other bestie came back with a boyfriend, which was incredibly weird, and so we move on to February...
February: Lets rename it month of the crazies! My roommate got engaged, and married within the same month. And being one of her bridesmaids- and having learned from my first time. It was a little intense. So we were down one roommate. And then.... well we can basically skip to the end of March...
March: school, school, school. Patching up damaged relationships, and getting ready for the end of the semester. This would also be the last time I would see my grandmother in her home.
April: Finals blick! Going home. Taking a trip to Utah to fly home, and seeing my grandma in the hospital for the first time... worst/probably one of the most spiritual times I have had this year. Getting to spend those precious 30 minutes alone with her, holding her hand, I will never forget it. Get home to Texas, and I have a million and one people to see, and it seems like there is not enough time to do it! Somehow I manage to get it all done, and make a baby blanket! Then it is on my way back up to Utah. Where I will see my grandma for the last time alive, I would have told my roommate to get a different ride had I known, and spent the rest of the day with my grandma- but I guess I will have eternity for that...
May: It is my birthday month! And it seems like it is taking forever to get to my birthday, probably because it is so late in the month. May 12, I get a call from my mother that my grandma has passed away- devastation doesn't begin to cover it. The very next day I pack up for a week and leave for Utah. There I help my aunt and uncle with things until my mom and sister arrive. When they do, I help pick out such things like a casket, the programs, telling them if there is anything wrong with the way she looks that they can fix... I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Thankfully my niece and sister in law get to come this time, and they brighten the day. Getting to show Abbi pictures of people and pointing them out on the tv as the slideshow goes, was one of the most moving things I experienced, I wonder if she knew some of them before she joined us here... Back up to school for 4 days before I leave for Utah again, and 5 days before my birthday! I got to have all my family in my grandma's house- the way she would have wanted it. And so we move into June...
June: Was the month of waiting! It was one month until Lisa was back from Germany, and time really seemed to slow! I had a count down on my phone, as well as on the calendar! The days ticked by, and all I could think about was seeing her again. I had some amazing times with my friends the weekend before, getting tan was the other objective of this month. And so came July...
July: Finally the weekend came, and I headed down to Utah. Monday ticked by slowly at first, but eventually picked up speed and before I knew it I was down to less than 12 hours. Waking up several times in the middle of the night, and forcing myself back to sleep- I woke up at the sound of my alarm. I jumped up, ran to the shower and started getting ready for the day, I tried to take my time when I realized I gave myself 2 1/2 hours to get ready... I really only needed maybe 1 and 15 minutes. So I put Toy Story in, and at 11:30 I was headed out! It actually took the full 30 minutes for me to drive there... who knew going up a mountain would be so dang difficult... getting there in the winter will for sure suck...I get there and her wonderful husband answers the door with a big wave and a smile. So I wait for her to come upstairs and it feels like an eternity until I see her running up and I can't help myself- I just run toward her. I had been waiting for this hug for 3 years, and I waited a couple of seconds... the tears never came- I was a little worried, but eventually after talking for almost 2 hours they began to fall... and were interrupted by a phone call from her still wonderful husband. There will never be time enough to make up for her being gone 3 years, but I will certainly try with all my might! And so the weekend was over, and I had to go back up to school... crying most of the way.
The rest of the semester passed by in a whirlwind. I cant believe I will be home in 4 days! I cannot imagine what the rest of the year will bring, but be sure, you will know.
No comments:
Post a Comment